Introducing Blue-Bot, the Bluetooth floor robot
Welcome to the future of programming in the classroom! Blue-Bot is our brand new addition to the floor robot family. This innovative Bluetooth robot can be controlled using a tablet or PC/Mac whereby you create your program on screen, send it remotely and see Blue-Bot performs your program right before your very eyes! With a clear shell, children can see inside Blue-Bot and understand which components perform which duties, for example, where is the power stored?
Blue-Bot can now detect another Bee-Bot or Blue-Bot and say hello. They will play a default sound, or the students can record their own. Students can also record audio to play back when each button is pressed, making it more accessible to all students, including those with auditory or visual processing needs.
Using the app, BlueBot can now perform 45 degree turns alongside the traditional 90 degree turns which means children can program Blue-Bot to draw a variety of different shapes. The app has an explore mode which allows children to explore the wonders of programming whilst the challenges mode presents puzzles for the children to complete.
You can still use BlueBot like your normal Bee-Bot, by programming on the robot itself.You can use your existing Bee-Bot mats with Blue-Bot and have an image of the mats on screen so you can replicate your program in real life. We have made classroom management as easy as possible by allowing you to rename each and every Blue-Bot to give it its own character. Blue-Bot’s Features:
- Blue-Bot has a clear shell, which makes it possible to see the components inside Blue-Bot. Children can see its buzz!
- Tablet or PC controlled floor robot
- Program on the robot itself, or use the Blue-Bot app to program from a distance
- Compatible with iOS and Android (see below for compatibility)
- Capable of performing 45 degree turns and you can also include repetitions in your algorithm
- Rechargeable and fits on the standard Bee-Bot Docking Stations (TTSB0358, not included and sold separately).
- USB cable provided for recharging
- Compatible with your existing Bee-Bot mats
- Cross-curricular learning tool (curriculum resources are available)
The Blue-Bot app has been designed to work across a number of platforms and is a free download. Using the app with Blue-Bot unleashes the full potential of Blue-Bot in your classroom. Once you open the app on your device, select your Blue-Bot and get programming! The app allows you to select a Bee-Bot mat that you may already have , so you can replicate what’s on screen in real life! There are 2 Mode settings, the explore mode and the challenge mode: Explore Mode:
- Step by step programming When a button is pressed, Blue-Bot will move and the instruction will be added to the list. Once you’re happy with the algorithm, place Blue-Bot back at the start point and press go!
- Drag and Drop programming Choose your instructions for Blue-Bot and drag them into the algorithm bar on the left. If you have spotted an error then quite simply drag the instruction out that you do not want anymore.
- Repeats Blue-Bot app features the option to include repeats in your program to make it even more efficient!
- 45 degree turns Blue-Bot can be programmed to make 45 degree turns left and right.How many shapes can the children draw with Blue-Bot?
Challenge Mode,this mode sets challenges for the children to solve with Blue-Bot.
- Obstacles Blue-Bot app will randomly put obstacles on the on-screen mat for Blue-Bot to navigate around, adding complexity to the program.
- Fewer Buttons In this challenge the app will remove one or two directional buttons.Can BlueBot still get to where it needs to be by using just left and forward, for example?
- Random Instructions With this challenge you will be presented with a list of instructions for BlueBot and based on this you must predict which square Blue-Bot will end up.
Extra Features You can choose to remove some of the Blue-Bots buttons to make it more challenging to program. Blue-Bots can be renamed on the app to make classroom management of multiple Blue-Bots easy. Children can record themselves saying a command and can assign it to a button on Blue-Bot. As the algorithm goes through its cycle, children can hear themselves saying the instructions as it cycles through the program! Activity Ideas:
- Make it yours €” Design a mat of your own. This could be a dinosaur land, your town, your school, a home or maybe a favourite story such as we’re going on bear hunt. Once you’ve made your own mat you can snap a picture of it and use it in the Blue-Bot app.
- Challenge Yourself €” Use the Blue-Bot Shape mat. Can you make Blue-Bot visit all the green shapes or all the circles? Use the 1 €” 20 Number Track mat. If Blue-Bot starts on zero and moves 4 steps forward, then 1 step back. Where will it end up?
- Trip to the seaside €” Use the Blue-Bot Seaside Mat. Ask the children to decide what Blue-Bot should do at the seaside €”should Blue-Bot go to the funfair, swim in the sea or have an ice cream? If Blue-Bot starts at the campsite, what sequence is required for Blue-Bot to reach his destination/s?
- Program it €” Complete a challenge by using the Blue-Bot app to create a step-by-step program. Once the program is finished, press Go to run the whole program through. Use the pen tool in the app to see where you’ve been.
PLEASE NOTE: Download the app to control Blue-Bot from the Apple Story for iOS devices and from the Google Play Store for Android devices. Blue-Bot is compatible with any iOS device with version 3.0/4.0+ EDR Bluetooth (e.g. iPad3 and later, iPhone 4s and later) please check the device specifications to ensure it is compatible.