The LEGO EV3 Science Activity Starter Pack consists of:
- 1x LEGO EV3 Science Activity Pack (LEG25576)
- 1x Temperature Sensor (LEG9749)
- 1x Renewable Energy Add-On Set (LEG9688).
The LEGO EV3 Science Activity pack consists of 14 physical science experiments for middle school. It is developed together with Fraunhofer, a global application-oriented research organization, and in close collaboration with science teachers. The activity pack is an electronic download. It utilises the data-logging capabilities of the LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Education EV3 hardware and software, as well as the LEG9688 Renewable Energy Add-on Set and the LEG9749 NXT Temperature Sensor (all required to use the LEG25576 EV3 Science Activity pack and included in this kit).
Experiments are centred on energy (energy production and consumption), heat and temperature (melting points, insulation, and heat transmission), force and motion (mechanics and kinematics), and light (light intensity). Each of the 14 experiments is structured to fit within a 45 to 90-minute science lesson with small, engaging LEGO models that are easy to build and program.
- 14 activities focusing on 4 different disciplinary core concepts
- Short, structured experiments
- Small but engaging LEGO models that are simple to build
- Use of integrated data logging graph environment and rubrics
- No programming skills required Assessment (review questionnaires) for each experiment
Key Learning Points:
- Asking questions, developing and using models
- Planning and carrying out investigations
- Analysing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics, informational and computer technology, and computational thinking
- Constructing explanations and designing solutions
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
The temperature sensor is a digital sensor powered by the EV3 brick. Using the EV3 brick and EV3 software, it can be calibrated to measure both Celsius and Fahrenheit (-20 to +120°C/-4 °F to +248 °F). The renewable energy set (LEG9688) provides a range of elements including a solar panel, turbine blades, a motor/generator, LED lights, an extension wire, and a LEGO Energy Meter to learn about different renewable energy sources. It can be used in combination with LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 but is also compatible with LEGO Simple & Powered Machines and LEGO MINDSTORMS Education NXT.
Please note the LEGO EV3 Science Activity Pack requires the use of the LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Core Set (LEG45544-1), not included and sold separately. The LEGO Education EV3 software can be downloaded from www.legoeducation.com/download